Phoenix Spiral Hat
© TheCrochetZombie Jan 2012
- 5.5mm crochet hook
- 4ply worsted weight yarn (2 colors)
ch - chain
sc - single crochet
hdc - half double crochet
long hdc - long half double crochet
Long HDC Instructions:
- YO, put hook into next stitch 2 rounds below, pull up a loop, YO and pull through all 3 loops on hook.
- Ch2 counts as a hdc in increase (crown) rounds ONLY. When joining to the ch2, join with the other color you have chosen, alternating between the colors each round. There will be no ch2 or joining in remaining rounds of hat, Simply finish the last YO and pull through 3 loops on the hook with the new color.
- You will be changing colors each round.
- Instead of cutting and joining new yarn every round, simply drop the color you are currently using and pick up the other. Do this every time you change color (to save you sewing in lots of ends) and be sure to pull yarns slightly tight to ensure no bulging.
Rnd 1: Starting with a magic circle, ch2, and work 9 hdc in the centre of the ring. Join to top of ch2 with new color. (Join to top of ch2 with new color in every increase round) (10sts)
Rnd 2: Ch2, hdc in same st, work 2hdc in each st around. Join to top of ch2 (20sts)
Rnd 3: Ch2, *2hdc in next st, 1hdc in next st. Repeat from * around. Join to top of ch2. (30sts)
Rnd 4: Ch2, 1 hdc in next st, 2hdc in next st. *1 hdc in next 2 sts, 2 hdc in next st. Repeat from * around. Join to top of ch2. (40sts)
Rnd 5: Ch2, 1 hdc in next 2 sts, 2 hdc in next st. *1 hdc in next 3 sts, 2 hdc in next st. Repeat from * around. Join to top of ch2. (50sts)
Rnd 6: Ch2, 1 hdc in next 3 sts, 2 hdc in next st. *1 hdc in next 4sts, 2 hdc in next st. Repeat from * around. Join to top of ch2. (60sts)
Rnd 7: *hdc in next st, work a long hdc in the next st. Repeat from * around. (finish last part of your last st with the new color in every round from here through the remainder of the pattern) (60sts)
Rnd 8: *work a long hdc in next st, hdc in next st. Repeat from * around. (60sts)
Rnd 9 - 22: Repeat rnds 7 & 8. (60sts)
Rnd 23: Hdc in each st around. (60sts)
Rnd 24 - 25: Sc in each st around. (60sts)
Weave in ends and enjoy.
This Pattern is for personal use only. It is not to be posted or reproduced on any website, or printed version. You may use your finished project for any purpose. If you wish to share this pattern, please only provide a link to where the pattern can be downloaded/purchased. Thank You.